Friday, March 25, 2011

Why I will never buy an iPod.

First, let us look at the iPod model.  You keep your files in this store.  You go in and browse around.  You can listen to your music, etc. while in the store.  Then you go to the clerk, and the clerk puts the selected files into your sack (iPod) when you leave.

There is nothing inherently wrong with this model.  In fact, there are some advantages.  It is a store, so you can immediately add music to your list.  If your favorite artist has a new album out, with just a few clicks that album is in your collection.  It is also a place where you can try out some music.  It is a one stop shop.  Browse the music.  Try out a few seconds of a song to see if you like it.  There are videos there.  All kinds of things for you to browse through.

I have heard, if your computer dies they will let you re-download songs you have already purchased.  Hence, you have a built in off-site backup.   This does not work for songs you obtained from other sources, but that is a nice feature -- if it exists.

Furthermore, you have a sort of P.O. box.  You can subscribe to podcasts and there is a place to deliver them.  In this way, when a new one is available, it is in your list.  You can tell the clerk, you want this in your bag too.

On the other hand...

You are keeping your collection in a store.  Therefore, at every turn, they want to sell you something.  Not to mention how much stuff is in the thing.  Try looking for some retro-swing in it.  Swing is not one of its genres.  So, you go to jazz.  Swing is not one of its sub-genres.  Thus, you have to look by artist.  But, if you are looking for something new in this particular style, then you are not going to have much luck.  If you like popular music, then you should not have much difficulty.  However, if you like stuff off the beaten path, then you are going to have difficulty finding the type of music you like.  Hey!  That's me!

Podcasts are a direct result of the iPod.  You can tell by the name.  However, good luck finding them on iTunes!  From my experience, the podcasts are not even split up into genres.  So, if you like one particular podcast, you will not have any luck finding something similar.  (I have limited experience with iTunes because my first few experiences were negative.)  It is far easier to go somewhere else to find podcasts that your are interested in.  The site of the podcast will generally have a special link to subscribe in iTunes.  Hence, you are far better off using Google to find podcasts than using iTunes.

Furthermore, since iTunes is an internet aware product.  It is constantly needing to be updated for security issues.  It has a TSR, and you know how I feel about them.  It is not a particularly good program for media consumption.  It tries (and fails) to do too much.  Not to mention, it is a store.  Why should it be helpful when it is giving away free things?

Now, iTunes can be run from any computer in your house.  However, you can only load media on your device in only one location.  You have to work it out if you and anyone else living in your house each have your own device.

The original iPod could be used as an external usb hard-drive.  However, that is no longer the case.  Gone are the days when you could put any file you wanted on your iPod.  If you need to get a PowerPoint presentation from one computer to another, you cannot use that convenient flash drive you carry around with music on it.  You need another external drive.  That clerk will not even look at files it does not recognize.


Have I mentioned Digital Rights Management?  Have I mentioned no control over the quality settings for your MP3s?  You see, iTunes was set up in a way to prevent trouble from the RIAA.  It is based on the thought that if people had full control over the media they purchase, they will do bad things with it -- like share!  This is why you cannot gain access to the iPod.  It is a portable hard drive that can be plugged into any computer with a usb port.  You could copy those files onto any other computer!  There are lots of other media players with the same design in mind, but the iPod is the most successful.

What I want, is a flash drive that can play media.  (my Sansa w/ Rockbox installed is like that.)  I can put any file I want on it.  It just appears on my computer (any computer) as a usb drive. 

In my world, I keep all my music in a central repository -- only accessible from within my house network.  While at home, I want my devices to have access to my full library.  In this way, I have set up an internal web page that plays my music.  However, iPods -- even the iPod touch and the iPad -- do not like to play music external to them.  Thus, they will not run my internal web page. (I tested it) Thus, an iPod would only have access to a portion of my library at any given time.  I would have to reload it regularly.  Which is another task that I have no interest in.

Since I feel the iPod/iPad and the entire line of portable media devices built by Apple are anchored to this dog called iTunes, I cannot ever see myself wanting to purchase one.  Further, the continued practice of controlling what is on the device essentially cripples them in my eyes.  It seems like that is the road which Apple wishes to travel, and I am certainly not going to go down that road with them.  This is just a brief overview of why I will never purchase an iPod.

No comments:

Post a Comment